Our Healthy Homemade version!
- 2 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard / ½ Tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Himalaya salt, or more to taste
- 1 cup (240 ml) neutral flavoured oil: grapeseed or flaxseed oil. (You can experiment making your mayo with Olive Oil, but this adds a totally different flavour)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Add egg yolks to the small bowl of a food processor and process for 20 seconds. Add the mustard, vinegar, and salt. Process for another 20 seconds.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, turn the food processor on then begin to slowly add the oil in tiny drops until about a quarter of the oil has been added (by slowly adding the oil, it help with emulsifying, otherwise the Mayonnaise may split).
- When you notice that the mixture is beginning to thicken and emulsify, you pour the oil in a fine consistent stream, instead of drops of oil.
- When all the oil has been added, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and process for an extra 10 seconds. Taste mayonnaise for seasoning then add salt, lemon juice or extra vinegar to taste.
- If the mayonnaise is too thin for your liking, slowly stream in more oil with the processor running until it thickens.